When considering any cosmetic procedure, how long the effects will last is an important factor. A treatment with significant, lasting effects lets you spend less money in the long run, reduces the amount of time away from your everyday life, and keeps your appearance more consistent and natural-looking. In addition, the fewer procedures you have done, the less stress you put on your body, promoting overall health. Ulthera is a strong choice in terms of longevity: the results generally last for years after the initial procedure, which is one of the reasons it is a great choice for people looking for a long-lasting, non-invasive solution to skin laxity.
The procedure itself lasts 30 minutes to an hour, and the majority of patients only need one appointment. Most patients see improvement in their skin immediately after the appointment. However, since Ulthera works by stimulating the skin cells to produce more collagen, the transformation occurs over several months rather than just a few hours. The effects peak in several months, and that level is usually maintained for 2-3 years. However, since there is no way to stop the aging process, a follow-up procedure is usually needed after that point.
Compared to Similar Procedures
Ulthera fares well in comparison to other procedures which seek to lift and tighten the skin of the face:
- It lasts much longer than Botox and similar injections, which must be repeated every several months – costing hundreds each time.
- It lasts about the same amount of time as Thermage, but more patients see results from Ulthera as compared to Thermage.
- Most dermal fillers last only several months to a year, depending on the area treated and type of filler.
The results have more longevity as compared to other non-surgical treatments because Ulthera actually works with your body’s natural processes: it causes the skin cells to produce more collagen, which makes the skin look more firm and youthful. In contrast, fillers and injections are merely outside substances injected into the skin. It is also more effective than similar procedures such as Thermage because ultrasound imaging allows the treatment to be much more precisely targeted.
Getting the Most from Your Treatment
Taking good care of your skin will help slow the aging process, helping you to get the most out of your Ulthera treatment. Good skin care includes:
- Eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and healthy fats
- Wearing a high-SPF sunscreen which blocks both UVA and UVB radiation
- Getting adequate sleep, and working to keep the stress in your life to a minimum; the skin heals itself more quickly when the body is under less stress
- Using a gentle cleanser and moisturizer at least once a day; your clinician or dermatologist can recommend a regimen
Following a good skin regimen goes a long way towards extending Ulthera ’s effectiveness.
While Ulthera shines as an option for most patients, thanks to its effectiveness and longevity, it is not for everyone. It cannot replicate the extreme change caused by a facelift – although a gradual, more natural change is exactly what many people desire. It is not effective for treating severe skin laxity, so it is usually best suited for patients ages 35-65.
Since the results last for 2-3 years, Ulthera is a great choice for people who are considering facelift surgery in the future, but are not ready to undergo such an intensive procedure yet; it is also ideal for people who have had a facelift in the past, and would like to prolong the time until they need to undergo surgery again.